Saturday 17 May 2014

Spinach Health Benefits

Spinach is rich in calcium. This makes it a great food choice for a vegan diet. It helps strengthen the bones. There are many other vitamins in spinach which make it a great food choice. I prefer eating spinach to lettuce. I often replace lettuce with spinach in sandwiches and salads. Lettuce doesn't have as many nutrients as spinach does. 

Spinach is rich in folic acid, vitamin K, and iron. Iron is important for vegans. I often cook in an iron skillet. With meat out of your diet it is important to find other sources of iron. Spinach is also high in vitamin C, fiber, and carotenoids. It contains lutein and bioflavanoids. All these nutrients help prevent cancer and heart disease. Flavanoids are a good brain food. They strengthen the mind and help prevent memory loss. 

Spinach is also wonderful for eye health. The high content of lutein helps with preventable blindness. Lutein is very good for your eyes. A diet rich in spinach might reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. I have a history of macular degeneration on one side of my family. I have 2 elderly great aunts who are both in their 90s. They both suffer from macular degeneration. I know my 96 year old aunt often complains about missing reading. If we can prevent eye disease our lives will be more enriched when we are elderly people.


No comments:

Post a Comment