Wednesday 23 April 2014

Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes

Over the summer I had been out for a walk. This was when I was contemplating becoming a vegan. I live in downtown Toronto. There was a house around the corner where someone was throwing away some books. This was a box of free books sitting on somebody's lawn. I like to peek into these kinds of boxes to see if there is anything I want. There was one book I wanted. It is my first vegan cookbook. It is not a cookbook at all. It is a zine which was produced on a low budget. It is called 'Vegan Freegan'. There are some people who will eat dairy and egg if they didn't pay for it. I don't subscribe to this philosophy, but I might drink coffee if it has cream in it already. This is the only time I have knowingly consumed dairy since I have started my vegan lifestyle.

This recipe is adapted from a recipe in this zine. I decided to make it a little bit more interesting. I added lemon juice and poppy seeds to the ingredients. I invented a new way of preparing this recipe. I hope you enjoy it.

1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
A Pinch of Salt
2 Bananas
1 Cup of Vanilla Soy Milk
1 Tablespoon of Stevia
Juice of 4 Lemons
2 Tablespoons of Poppy Seeds

I combined all of the ingredients without distinguishing between wet and dry. This turned out okay for me. The first pancake I made was too large. It ended up getting burned. What I did was wash the frying pan out and start all over again.

The best way to cook these is to use plenty of olive oil. I used a tablespoon to measure out how much I needed for a pancake. I made these quite small. It is easier that way to flip them and prevent them from crumbling.

Here are some links to items to make these pancakes:

Bob's Red Mill, Organic, Whole Wheat Flour, 48 oz (1.35 kg)

Rumford Baking Powder Canisters -- 8.1 oz

Celtic Sea Salt®, Light Grey, By The Grain & Salt Society, Coarse Ground, 1 lb

ZenSoy Soy-On-The-Go Soymilk, Vanilla, 8.25-Ounce Aseptic Packages (Pack of 15)

Stevia Raw Sweetener, 100 Count, 3.5 Ounce Whole Black Poppy Seeds 2 lb

No comments:

Post a Comment